Children’s Sportswear – PR&P Challenge Week 2
As you may have seen, I am participating in the weekly sew-alongs for Project Run & Play. Last week was easy. It was a remix of the Circle Skirt Tutorial by Dana over at MADE. I had used a circle skirt for Dinah’s Wendy Dress, so I submitted that. Week one: check!
This week the challenge is “Sportswear.” This is a bit more tricky. The ladies running PR&P gave us a handy link to the sportswear Wikipedia page and this description:
Sportswear is based upon stylish but wearable, comfortable and interchangeable multi-purpose clothes that combine practicability with style!
I have been holding on to a pair of vintage pillowcases that my mom found in her new house. I was planning to turn them into pillowcase dresses for the girls, but I thought it would be perfect to go ahead and pull them out for this challenge. I knew I wanted to make a little tunic type top and a pair of shorts, but I wasn’t sure of the design. After a bit of research, this is what I had sketched out:
And here is the finished product!
Here are some details…
The top is a slim fitting tunic that I drafted myself. I based it off the simple bodice pattern I drafted for the nightgowns. I just made it a touch wider and longer.
For the ruffle detail I made a fabric tube and pressed it flat. Then I gathered it down the middle and stitched it to the front of the tunic. I also added the strip of bias tape made from the shorts fabric and (my favorite) three little fabric covered buttons. I bound the neck and armholes with the same blue bias tape.
I did a simple slit opening in the back with a loop of elastic and a large fabric covered button.
For the shorts, I modified MADE’s Kid Pants/Shorts pattern. This was the most tricky part of the process. I knew I wanted to add pockets, so I had to cut the front pattern piece a bit short at the top and create a front waistband. I also needed a bit more volume in the legs so they would gather up as I wanted.
This shorts pattern from Craft Passion was cute, but wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I did like the pockets, so I used that part of her tutorial.
I love the touch of the shorts gathered into cuffs. This ended up being really easy. I gathered up the hem of the shorts and then bound each leg in the cuff. I am clearly obsessed with fabric covered buttons, so I added a couple to the outside of each cuff.
I really love the way this whole outfit turned out. (Despite its Auburn-ness.) Dinah really likes it too. It is fun to sew for her while she still thinks it is wonderful that her mom made her clothes. I figure I have until she is around 11. So, lots more sportswear to go.
Here are some actions shots:
My goal is to make a coordinating outfit for Esther, but I didn’t have time to get it done this week. I’ll post pictures of her outfit when it is finished. UPDATE: Pictures are up here!
Linked up with: