Project Run and Play is back! I just love this online sewing competition and I enjoy trying to sew along with it. So, I thought I would take this season as my opportunity to jump back into serious sewing (and blogging).
Now, I was already planning to use the Popover dress again for an upcoming event happening in the Gainesville area. We have an awesome butterfly farm just outside of town that we visited last spring for their first annual Festivus. It is such cute little place and the girls really had a great time exploring their greenhouses and doing the activities they had set out for kids. Shortly after that I found out that they have a Monarch Festival every September and I knew that would be one of our family outings. And then (of course) I decided that they should have a special monarch dresses or something for the event.
I believe it was last year that Jessica over at My Inner Need to Create had posted a tutorial as a “Flickr Friend” on Project Run and Play for a skirt with an appliqued rainbow butterfly. I wanted to do something similar, but I guess I wanted something a little more literal and monarch-y. So, I began moving ahead with my plans to just applique a butterfly to a Popover…
And then they announced the themes…and the timing couldn’t have been much more perfect. I wanted to keep the simple sundress-y vibe to the pattern and I thought converting it to a halter style would be the best bet. I also decided to make them tunics because I think the girls will wear them more.
Okay, here are the details:
I borrowed my church’s Silhouette machine and used it to cut out my butterflies. (I backed them with Heat ‘n’ Bond Ultra before I cut them.) I chose a few simple print fat quarters in ombre shades of orange and red and used that to create the colors of the butterfly wings. (That was Christian’s idea and it was a good one.)
I ironed the completed butterfly onto a halfway completed tunic (I stitched one side seam together and placed the butterfly…I stitched the other side of the tunic after the butterfly was attached.) I zigzag stitched around the outside of the butterfly, but decided to take the gamble and not stitch down the inside of the butterfly wings. If it starts to come un-stuck, I’ll just go back in and restitch.
I changed the pattern by cutting the back panel piece short along the line of the armhole on the original pattern. I also narrowed the yoke by about half an inch on either side to accommodate for the new angle of the straps. (Click on any picture below to see it larger.)
I just LOVE how these look as halters. And they were so easy…definitely see myself making more of these in the future.
I mean, just look at those sweet backs!
I have to say, I was worried about the overall look being too Halloween-y…you know, with all the orange and black. But the effect is really anything but. They turned out to be the perfect late summer/early fall look. Living in Florida they should be able to wear tanks like this for at least another month and I know they will get worn. The girls love them and didn’t want to take them off after our photo shoot.
I can’t wait to show them off at the Monarch Festival on Saturday!
And here are a few bonus shots (mostly for the grandparents) of the girls being silly during our shoot today. I just love these mugs. 🙂
Also linking up to:
B is for Butterfly!